It’s hard to believe it’s been almost a year since I started writing this book. Originally I wanted to be published by NaNoWriMo 2019, but that turned out to be a distant pipe dream, considering I’m starting a major rewrite!
So far I’ve gotten all the notes I took during my editor session into my computer, so I have an easy reference when I start on the rewrite in Scrivener.
I’m taking a lot out, moving a bunch around, and developing some characters more.
It’ll be a long road, I’m sure, but I’m really looking forward to it!
So for NaNoWriMo 2019, my plan is to spend an hour every morning working on the rewrite. My goal isn’t in word count, but rather in how the story truly unfolds. I’m expecting to remove quite a lot of words, actually, so it makes more sense to plan it out this way.
Now that I’ve got my notes on my computer, it’ll be easier to reference them when I’m working on the rewrite. But I’ve still got a ways to go before November 1st, and some work to do before then.
Killing Some Darlings
I can probably do this in parallel with storyboarding. This step is where I go through the manuscript and chop the scenes that my editor and I agreed don’t move the story forward. I’ll save those scenes for future use in other books, but they don’t belong in this story anymore.
I’ll do this in a copy of the file my editor took notes in.
Storyboarding & Outlining
This is the word my editor used when we discussed rewriting the book. It’s not something I did when writing the first draft, but this time around I think it will prove useful.
Since I’m changing a lot of scenes up and around, having a visual indicator of where they all fit together will help when I’m in the throes of rewriting in November and need to stay on track.
During part of this process I may use Scapple to mind map the book. I did this for the first draft to visualize how everything fit together. It also showed me which scenes needed to happen before or after others.
In Scrivener, Storyboarding will be the index cards or post-it notes in Corkboard mode.
I’ll look at each scene in my chopped-up manuscript and add a chapter or scene file in Scrivener to hold its place.
When I outline, I tend to put a lot of detail into the outline summary. It tells me whose point of view the scene is from, what’s going on in the scene, and gives me an idea of how much I actually need to write.
This is what my outline looked like for the first draft:
Side note: I’m changing the book title. Again. During NaNoWriMo 2018 I called it “The Seventh Sorceress”. When I fleshed it out in June 2019, I changed it to “The Prophets of Camlaan.”
Now, going into the rewrite I have a different title. And since there is already an (apparently) popular series called The Pendragon Series, I’m changing that name as well. My series is now “The Chronicles of Talahm”.
Moving it Over
The last thing I want to do before November hits is transfer the chopped-up manuscript text into the outline in Scrivener.
This will give me a clear idea of where I’ll need to spend the most time developing the story—as well as how many words I ended up cutting out!
I fully expect that I’ll need to take even more out as I rewrite during NaNoWriMo 2019. I just need somewhere to start!